Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Week 4- The Great Ocean Road- Part 1

One of the many lighthouses.
This weekend I went camping along the Great Ocean Road. It is a gorgeous drive about an hour and a half from Melbourne in the South West. There is bright blue water, gorgeous rock faces, and amazing hikes every where. I think I saw 5 waterfalls (Erskine falls in Lorne, and Triplet Falls  and another one in Maits Rest, plus some others which I don’t remember their locations). I also saw WILD KOALAS (in Kennet River)!!!! There was one sitting on the highway which I got really close to (to take photos of course, it was hard not to cuddle it) before attempting to scare it off the road so it wouldn’t get hit (apparently I’m not that scary- we had to use the cars horn). The water was cold but that didn’t stop me from swimming in the ocean (we saw whales!). We also visited a light house at Cape Otway (we visited another but didn’t get to go up it). The coast is very dangerous, with reefs and rocks abounding. You can actually go on a tour of all the ship wrecked boats that litter the area. Back in the day people sailing from Europe would go straight south, almost to Antarctica and then East until they hit Australia (in some cases, very literally). The most famous part of the Great Ocean Road is the 12 Apostles- huge rock formations that jut from the ocean. We didn’t get that far on this trip. Luckily that means I have an excuse to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment