Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 1-Oh my god, I'm in Australia!


My first glimpse of Melbourne!

I left SFO at 11 pm (west coast time) on July 8th. I arrived at Sydney International at 6 am on July 10th. At 8 am I left Sydney and reached Melbourne at 9:30 am. It was a long trip. For the first leg I was sitting next to a really cute, although slightly cranky, three year old girl and her mother. Her mom was really involved in emergency situation preparation and set up once it happens. I’ve been working on gaining more self confidence and I feel like talking to this woman really helped me out. 
While waiting for my flight to Sydney I met two guys who are also with my program. They were both nice. Neither are living in the same apartment complex I am, which is unfortunate because right now I don’t know anyone who lives here. My bag was one of the last few off the plane which made me go crazy with waiting. It was nice to go through customs with them. Of course I was the person who forgot to declare the chocolate I brought with me and so I was scolded. I got to keep the chocolate though!
Arriving at the apartments was really fun. The building is really pretty. There is a small pool on the courtyard, a gym, cafe, study room, computer lab, and info desk. My apartment is pretty small. We have a simply stocked stove, a kettle, toaster, microwave, and refrigerator. Our bathroom is nice, the water is hot. My room is small but spacious enough. There is a lot of shelving, a bed, a desk, and a tv. I’ve been watching The View. It’s so bad. As of writing this I don’t have internet yet, but I will soon, I have to sign up for it first. I have a closet outside of my room, again with lots of shelving. I need hangers. My roommate has a similar closet but there isn’t anything in it yet. I think she moved her stuff in a while ago but she hasn’t actually moved in (which means she’s probably australian!). Her room is locked. I don’t want to spend my first night without a roommate! Oh well. It feels really good to be here. Every time I go in the elevator I’m surrounded  by international students. The guy who lives across the hall from me is from Thailand. I should probably get some lunch (It’s 2 pm here).
I forgot an alarm clock which is bad news bears. It means that I can’t take a nap until after my meeting at 4 pm. I don’t want to go out on my own so I just have to stay up.

I can’t believe what a relief it finally is to be here. I’m so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment